At the "Dollar Villa" (nothing is actually a $1, but closeout buys really) I got three hideous 12 x 12 canvases, $6.99 each, and Amy Butler (what doesn't she design?!) scrapbook paper, 2 for $1 or cutouts - middle one - $1:
I used already owned supplies, including white and tan acrylic craft paint (to make off white), Mod Podge, and spray adhesive.
After 3 coats of the white paint to the edges, I realized I would have to take it up a notch to combat the uneven color (see that bottom canvas with the darker lines). Why I didn't get the same canvas for all 3 I have no idea since I planned on covering them the whole time. Duh!
So instead I busted out what was left of already owned white spray paint and tackled them with that and it worked like a charm. Once that dried I used spray adhesive to glue on the scrapbook paper, then Mod Podged all 3, which actually didn't turn out as great as I hoped...
Here they are hung. Even from here you can even somewhat see the problem I had...
Though it gives them a shiny, even appearance, they were so wet that they turned out quite wavy. I tried to smooth out the bubbles, but it was near impossible. Oh well. That's what I get for $23 art. I'll keep it for now I suppose seeing as our walls are so bare.
Here's a wider shot of them in the bedroom, which I haven't shown you in a LONG time.
Here is our room from the beginning of the year:
Yeah, we've changed a few things you could say! Most everything has gotten a facelift. Here's a quick list of what's been done:
- Removed mirror from dresser (sold at garage sale)
- Painted both dresser and armoire
- Bought new bed frame with storage (we had our mattress and box spring on the floor in the above photo)
- Replaced carpet with hardwood floor and new baseboards
- Painted walls
- Made and installed headboard
- Bought lamp shades, sheepskin rugs, wall decals, small potted grass, 2 mirrors (one pictured above) that were primed and painted white, & a ceramic ram's head (yet to be hung)
- Sewed duvet cover
- Sewed new dog bed to match decor
We still have a couple things to do in here like buy a rug, floating nightstands that don't interfere with our under bed storage, and something tall for that far corner of dead space you see, but it's come a long way, don't you think?!